When we make a wish we are usually asking for a change in our lives. If you are not ready and open to change, don't waste your energy on wishing!! We control nothing but our ability to accept or decline the 'wishes' we are granted every day. I cannot stress enough how important it is to focus and visualize the joyful feelings you will have when your receive your wishes and NOT on the how it should manifest. Spirit and the Universe is about continuous flow, balancing of energy. It is only our egos that want to HOLD on to everything, control, own and resist change. Spirit gives us the power to dream and wish. Ego controls whether or not we think we can attain these things. We all can't win the lottery or marry 'model perfect' people. We all can't have million dollar jobs and be heads of state or famous...BUT we can all find our life's purpose and work with the Divine Order and believe we can have love, happiness, abundance, good health and freedom and make some positive contribution to life...the saying is very true...be careful what you wish for because you "will" get it, but it may not be the way you expect it to happen...we are all co-creators with the Divine...make sure you are ready and willing to let the Divine do it's part too!
I hesitated to put this on my site because so many people believe that 'candle magic' can be about control. Unfortunately some do practice it for that purpose, but I believe that those people will have to pay for that at some future time. If you read anything about true magic then you will know and understand that it is against all natural law to use it to do harm or to manipulate people or circumstances. True magic is used to bring about positive change for the good of ALL and not just the practitioner. Real candle magic is practiced in harmony with nature and the universe and the belief is that to practice in this manner magnifies our own personal energy and creative powers because we align ourselves with the Universal energy. For a better understanding of this, search out information on Wicca and Pagan Traditions and see my favorite links page.
One of the simplest of magical arts which comes under the heading of natural 'magic' is candle burning. Candle magic is simple because it employs little ritual and few ceremonial tools. The tools of candle magic can be purchased at any store or shop and its rituals can be practiced in any sitting room or bedroom.
Most of us have performed our first act of candle magic at a very early age. We make a wish and blow out the candles. Magic! This childhood tradition is based on the three magical principals of visualization, concentration and will power. Broken down, the child visualizes the end result (make a wish), has to concentrate (blow out the candles), and hope that it will come true (will power). Candles invoke divineness, create a sense of ceremony and are an elegant and comforting addition to any environment. Yet candles really have a special ability to make wishes come true, because they help clarify your heart's desire and allow you to focus your intent. Next time you want to make something positive happen in your life, let a candle light the way and assist you.
The size and shape of the candles you use is unimportant, although larger bulkier ones are not recommended. Most people prefer to use candles of smaller uniform size if possible. Small tapers and votives are perfect. Candles you use for any type of 'magical' use should unused. Under no circumstances use a candle which has already been previously used. The reason new candles are used is vibrations and energies picked up by second-hand materials or equipment may disturb your candle magic and negate the effectiveness.
You may prefer to make your own candles if you are feeling crafty. There are many books on Wiccan traditions that have recipes for candles that incorporate herbs and crystals as well as oils.
Once you have purchased or made your ritual candle it should be prepared before burning with oil. The purpose of dressing the candle with oil is to establish a psychic link between the candle and yourself. By physically touching the candle during the dressing process, you are charging it with your own personal energies and also concentrating the desire and intent of your magical act into the wax. The candle becomes an extension of your mental power and Spiritual energy.
When you dress a candle for magical use, imagine that it is a psychic magnet with a North and a South pole. Rub the oil into the candle beginning at the top or North end and work downwards to the half-way point. Always brush in the same direction downwards. This process is then repeated by beginning at the bottom or south end and working up to the middle.
The best type of oils to use for dressing candles are natural ones which can be obtained quite easily. Some metaphysical suppliers will provide candle magic oils with exotic names. If you do not want to use these, you can select suitable oils or perfumes from you own sources. A good simple oil is 'virgin olive oil'. The oil soluble perfumes sold by craft stores for candle making are also recommended.
Basic Candle Magic Preparations
To start you should cleanse your space using a smudge stick if you have it or use the 'white light' technique, relax , have a positive state of mind.
Make sure your space is quiet unless you want to use soft music. It's good not to eat or engage in sexual activity before any 'magic' ritual as these activities drain your energies. A "cleansing" bath or shower is also recommended before starting your candle magic session.
Inscribing candles is a way of enhancing the intent of your candle. Using symbols and words, carve them into the sides of the candle before it is dressed. For example when attracting love, inscribe the word LOVE on your pink candle. Then dress the candle from top to bottom, to attract the love. Rune symbols also work for inscribing candles. Use your own words symbols that are meaningful to you. It is the intent while engaging in the process that is important.
1) You can use any kind of candle that appeals to you. White is always the best choice, but you may want to choose ones whose colors correspond to specific energies. Red, for example, corresponds to passion. Yellow improves communications and blue creates harmony and understanding. Green brings growth and good health. ( You can also write down the objective of your ritual on a virgin piece of paper, such as " I will manifest my dream job"..." I will attract my perfect partner". You can use color paper which matches the candle. Write your petition on the paper using a magical alphabet, such as Theban, enochian, malachain, runes, etc. When you have completed writing down your petition, carefully fold up the paper in a deliberately slow fashion. Place the end of the folded paper in the candle flame and set light to it. As you do this concentrate once more on what you want from life. )
2) Before using it, "dress" the candle by rubbing it with olive oil or some other magical blend of pure oils. This imparts your special energies to it and forges a psychic link. (see above)
3) Create an 'altar' or special place where you can burn your candle and leave it undisturbed afterwards. You can add flowers, incense or other symbolic items if you wish.
4) Time your candle-burning to correspond to the cycles of the moon. You can find them out by looking on the weather page of your newspaper or on the internet. To bring something into your life, do your rituals when the moon is waxing (or growing). To rid yourself of something, do it when the moon is waning.
5) Meditate briefly before lighting the candle to help still the mind and bring your desire into focus. When you light the flame, state your intention out loud, in simple, clear terms. Imagine that you already have what it is you want in your life, not how you will get it. Watch the flame steadily, but don't stare intently. Focus on being receptive and open to what it is you want. Visualize the circumstances under which you might be offered a new job, different circumstances that could all bring the same end result, imagine your employer telling you that your salary has been increased or conjure up a vision of your perfect love partner and what would emotionally satisfy you. Visualize yourself with a partner that is communicating with you in a loving respectful manner. Visualize yourself happy and attracted to that partner, not focusing on the HOPE that they are attracted to you. These visualizations are all about YOU, no one else.
(NOTE: DO NOT focus on trying to specifically alter someone else's behavior...that goes against free will and choice and natural order and can be very harmful. If you are sending healing, ask permission from their Higher Self. Do not EVER force anything on another, even if your intent is good. Focus on visualizing yourself acting as if you have already attained what it is you seek. Do not try and manipulate the details of "how" it should manifest...leave that up to the Universe! )
6) Let the candle burn as long as you want, but never leave it unattended. Be sure put it out at the end of your session.
Repeat the ritual as often as you like, but don't get obsessive. Always remember too, the power is not in the candle, but in you!. The candle is only a tool! Candle burning is a way to help you stay open to the possibilities of life. It may seem that your particular wish didn't come true, but who knows? ( Sometimes our wishes come to us in ways that are not as we specifically asked for. This is why you need to be open to all the possibilities life throws at you. )
The candles you use can be colored in accordance with the following magical uses: ( color meanings can vary slightly from source to source, each book you read will have its own slight variances on this. )
- White: A balance of all colors; Spiritual enlightenment, cleansing, clairvoyance, healing, truth seeking; Rituals involving lunar energy' May be substituted for any color candle.
- Yellow: Activity, Creativity, unity; brings power of concentration and imagination to a ritual; use in rituals where you wish to gain another's confidence or persuade someone, or in rituals that require solar energy.
- Gold: Fosters understanding and attracts the powers of cosmic influences; beneficial in rituals intended to bring about fast luck or money, or in rituals needing solar energy.
- Pink: Promotes romance, friendship; standard color for rituals to draw affections; a color of femininity, honor, service, brings friendly, lively conversation to the dinner table.
- Red: Health, passion, love, fertility, strength, courage, will power; increases magnetism in rituals; draws Aries and Scorpio energy.
- Silver: Removes negativity and encourages stability; helps develop psychic abilities; attracts the influence of the Mother Goddess.
- Purple: Power, success, idealism, psychic manifestations; ideals for rituals to secure ambitions, independence, financial rewards, or to make contact with the spiritual other world; increases Neptune energy.
- Magenta: Combination of red and violet that oscillates on a high frequency; energizes rituals where immediate action and high levels of power or spiritual healing are required.
- Brown: Earthly, balanced color; for rituals of material increase; eliminates indecisiveness; improves powers of concentration, study, telepathy; increases financial success; locates objects that have been lost.
- Indigo: Color of inertia; stops situations or people; use in rituals that require a deep meditational state; or in rituals that demand Saturn energy.
- Royal Blue: Promotes laughter and joviality; color or loyalty; use to attract Jupiter energy, or whenever an influence needs to be increased.
- Light Blue: Spiritual color; helpful in devotional or inspirational meditations; brings peace and tranquility to the home; radiates Aquarius energy; employ where a situation must be synthesized.
- Blue: Primary spiritual color; for rituals to obtain wisdom, harmony, inner light, or peace; confers truth and guidance.
- Emerald Green: Important component in Venusian rituals; attracts love, social delights, and fertility.
- Dark Green: Color of ambition, greed, and jealousy; counteracts these influences in a ritual.
- Green: Promotes prosperity, fertility, success; stimulates rituals for good luck, money, harmony, and rejuvenation.
- Grey: Neutral color useful when pondering complex issues during meditation; in magic, this color often sparks confusion; it also negates or neutralizes a negative influence.
- Black: Opens up the deeper levels of the unconscious; use in rituals to induce a deep meditative state, or to banish evil or negativity as in uncrossing rituals; attracts Saturn energy.
If you wanted to use candle magic for healing, you would select a red candle to burn. To pass an exam, burn a yellow candle, to gain esoteric knowledge burn a blue candle or for material gain, burn a purple one. It is obvious these colors relate to the signs of the zodiac and the planetary forces.
If you are conducting a 'magical ritual' which involves two people (e.g. an absent healing for a person some distance away) then the second person can be symbolically represented during the ritual by another candle. All you need to do is find out the subject's birth date and burn the appropriate candle for that zodiacal sign. These are as follows:
- GEMINI ___________yellow
- CANCER__________ silver
- AQUARIUS________all colors
A Final Thought
A man was caught in his house in a flood. He began praying to God to rescue him. He had a vision in his head of God's hand reaching down from heaven and lifting him to safety. The water started to rise in his house. He heard a neighbor honking his horn outside in a pick-up truck. The neighbor was yelling at the man to come on and he would give him a ride to safety. The man yelled back. It's Ok, I am waiting for God to save me. The neighbor drove off. The man continued to pray and hold his vision as the waters began rising in his house. He had to climb up to his roof on the house. He continued to pray for God to rescue him. He believed with all his heart that God would reach out that hand and lift him away. As he was sitting on his roof praying, a boat came by with some people heading for safe ground. They yelled at the man to grab a rope they would throw him and they would take him with them. He yelled back that it was ok, he was waiting for God to save him. They shook their heads and moved on. The man continued to pray, believing with all his heart that he would be saved by God. The flood waters continued to rise and were near the top of the roof now. A helicopter flew up and a voice came over a loudspeaker telling the man they would lower a ladder and take him off the roof. The man waved the helicopter away, yelling that he was waiting for God to save him. The helicopter took off. The man continued to pray and hold fast to his vision of God's hand reaching down to him, but the waters were now coming over the roof and caught him up and swept him away. He drowned.
The man was in heaven at the foot of God. He asked God, WHY did you not save me?. I believed in you with all my heart. WHY did you let me drown?.
I sent you a pick-up truck, you refused that.
I sent you a boat, you refused that.
I sent you a helicopter, you refused that.
In MY NAME, what else could I possibly do for you!!!???
NEED I SAY MORE????....:-))